Turning new interests into new confidence.
In early 2012, Children of Shelters (COS) launched a program to provide our shelter partners with access to recreational activities through San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department (SFRPD). Through our program, children are participating in classes ranging from ballet to futsal to skateboarding to claymation. We have enrolled our shelter partner children in classes for toddlers to teens, and all classes are held at community recreation centers no further than five blocks from the shelters and housing locations. COS thoughtfully partners with best-in-class resources to avoid duplicating efforts and to ensure maximum impact for every dollar spent. SFRPD is equally enthusiastic about this partnership to bring community resources to children who otherwise would not have the opportunity.
Benefits of this program for our children are directly in line with Children of Shelters’ mission and include:
- Opportunities to identify new interests, develop skills, increase self-worth and build confidence
- Creating a sense of community and chance for friendship building
- Increased exposure to experiences beyond the shelter
- Class locations close to the shelters that negate transportation issues
- Keeping kids busy and off the streets after school, on weekends, during holidays and vacations
- Allowing parents (often single parent households) a needed reprieve from care-giving
- Long term, stable programming for children as the well-priced programs can be accessed once a family transitions from the shelter environment
For more information regarding underwriting opportunities for this program please contact:Mandy Paige, Program & Development Director email@example.com 925-935-9938 Many thanks to Sports Basement and Donate to Dance for generous donations providing the necessary equipment for our kids to experience success through the Recreation & Parks classes!